Aglio e Scalogno

Aglio e Scalogno
Aglio e Scalogno: Garlic and Shallots at the Christmas Market in Florence

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Mi manca il bel paese


Back from 12 memorable and exciting days in the Bel Paese. Listening to Elisa and drinking a Sangiovese, but it's not the same. The streets outside here are not narrow, not historic, not cobblestoned... They are wide and new and devoid of the special spirit that touches my soul when I walk through an Italian town.... any Italian town.......


I think the only cure for the sadness and hollowness that I feel is to start planning my next trip to Italy. I'm sure in the coming days and weeks, I'll embrace the joys that the mountains here do provide - the playful snowshoes with my dog Drew, the sun-kissed sparkles in the air as I cross-country ski across fresh-fallen snow, and the dreams of springtime with its promise of emerging sprouts of garlic and tulips. But tonight I'm feeling nostalgic and a bit empty....

Don't Just Dream It - Do It ! Let us take you on a tour of a lifetime!

Don't Just Dream It - Do It !   Let us take you on a tour of a lifetime!
L to R: Marybeth, Giuliana (owner/founder) Steve (filmmaker)

Giuliana, owner of La Contadina Travels and Tours

Giuliana, owner of La Contadina Travels and Tours
Giuliana, on the right, leading a tour in Umbria

Steven Robert McCurdy, documentary filmmaker and my fellow tour guide

Steven Robert McCurdy, documentary filmmaker and my fellow tour guide
Steve taking a self-portrait in Italy

Another self-portrait of Steve, who is co-leading the tour with me

Another self-portrait of Steve, who is co-leading the tour with me

Italian Club of Salt Lake

If you're in Utah or coming for a visit and are interested in events related to Italian culture, music, or food, check the Italian Club of Salt Lake (ICSL) website for information: www.italianclubofsaltlake.com .

The ICSL also offers wonderful Italian language classes in a fun and comfortable setting at Raw Bean Cafe', at 611 South West Temple (great access off I-15). I'm the coordinator of the classes as well as a student, and believe me, the classes are great!